Understanding Hearing Loss
Hearing loss is one of the most common health problems in the United States. There are over 30 million people with hearing loss that causes difficulty with communicating, particularly in noisy places. There are several types of hearing loss as well as degrees of hearing loss that must be determined by hearing testing. Hearing loss also can cause difficulty understanding words. Testing word recognition is part of all test batteries so the degree of difficulty can be determined.
Common Symptoms of Hearing Loss
- Speech sounds muffled
- Difficulty understanding speech at a distance
- Difficulty understanding speech in a noisy environment
- Problems hearing consonants, especially high frequency consonants (s, t, p)
- Having to ask others to repeat themselves
- Misunderstanding what is being said
- Increasing the television volume.
- Avoiding social situations
- Withdrawing from activities with others